Launching a WordPress development business can be a lucrative, exciting, and rewarding endeavor, especially since WordPress is a fantastic platform with an absolutely huge user base. As such, there is an incredible opportunity to build a successful business around it. However, it can also feel a bit overwhelming and confusing as you ponder just where to start and how to launch the business–no matter if it’s from scratch or if you are transitioning your existing team to focus specifically on the platform.
Starting a WordPress development business requires a combination of technical skills, business savvy, and a dash of creativity no matter if you launch as an LLC in California or a corporation in Delaware. In this article, some essential steps will be covered that will enable you to get your business up and running, including how to define your services, build a portfolio, and market to prospective clients.
Keep reading to learn more about how to stand out in the competitive world of WordPress development and create a thriving business.
Essential Steps to Follow
Here are some key steps to follow that will allow you to kickstart your new business venture:
- Define your service offering. It is necessary to identify and determine the specific WordPress development services you want to focus on. For instance, this could include designing and building WordPress websites, customizing themes, developing plugins, offering website maintenance and support to clients, or facilitating training. Of course, you don’t have to limit yourself, and if you and your team have proficiency in multiple areas, you can provide your clients with a diverse service offering that generates varied streams of revenue.
- Decide on a company name and buy a domain to house your website. Additionally, purchase all of the available domain names associated with your company, including .com, .net., .org, .co, and the like. It is important to guarantee you own all variations for your budding brand. Subsequently, create a professional website for your business and ensure it is optimized for search engines like Google and Bing to enhance your company’s visibility online.
- Create a business plan. This should be considered a “living document” and act as a guide for your new business. Identify how your company will operate on a day-to-day basis, how you will market your products and services, establish your mission and vision, and identify key client targets. This document should be changed and modified as time passes and your business grows.
- Outline the creative and technical process. Each project you work on is likely to have its own unique workflow, but it is important from the start-up phase to define what the creative and technical process will look like. Establishing this from the get-go will prevent future headaches and confusion, while also enabling a consistent approach to be followed no matter the project scope and the needs of the client. Plus, if and when you hire employees it will simplify your internal operations.
- Define your pricing structure and outline the rates for each service you provide. This may involve doing some competitive research and learning how other WordPress development companies charge their clients based on a respective market. You can choose to bill clients based on an hourly rate, a fixed project fee, or a retainer model in the case of ongoing maintenance and support. Make sure you factor in overhead costs, employee salaries, and other expenses to confirm you are hitting targeted profit margins.
- Build an online portfolio. Prospective clients are going to want to see some proof and examples of your past projects and skills. Of course, this can be tricky if you are just starting out; therefore, if you don’t have any client work yet, consider building sample websites or working on personal projects to demonstrate your abilities. Also consider donating your services to a small business or non-profit organization to begin building a body of work–plus, this could also serve as a tax write-off to your business.
- Set up your business. Go through appropriate legal channels and consult with an attorney when deciding on your business structure; for instance, a sole proprietorship, partnership, or limited liability corporation. Register your business with the appropriate federal, state, and local authorities and obtain any needed permits or licenses. Also, set up a separate business bank account to keep your business finances organized.
- Network and market your services. Think about attending local business events, joining industry associations, and aligning your business with strategic partners or agencies who may be able to refer business, recommend your services, or send overflow work your way.
- Provide the best in customer service from day one. Creating strong relationships with prospects and clients is crucial to ensure repeat business and generate positive, word-of-mouth referrals. Place an emphasis on great communication, transparency, responsiveness, and on-time project delivery. One way to do this is by enabling call forwarding using a VoIP system, as this means you’ll never miss any incoming VoIP calls from your customers. Also convey your commitment to ensuring any WordPress website project you work on is secure, up to date with modern standards, and optimized.
- Remain committed to continuous learning. WordPress development is not a static field–it is ever changing and evolving. Therefore, as a professional in this field, you must ensure your skills remain sharp. Stay up to date on the latest WordPress updates, security best practices, and other key development trends. Invest in yourself and attend industry conferences and workshops while also engaging in self learning by taking online courses and acquiring new certifications.
- Expand your services as your business grows. Of course, you do not have to be all things to all people–but do think about adding other services such as content creation, e-commerce integration, website hosting, and other offerings that align with your mission and vision.
Are You Ready to Start Your Own WordPress Development Business?
Starting a WordPress development business does require a lot of work, but by following the tips discussed in this article, it is possible to reap considerable rewards and create a great career. Realize there are no shortcuts to starting your own company, but when you put in the time and effort, success can be yours for the taking.